Arkansas Attorney General Supports Marriage Equality, But Says He'll Defend State Ban


Talk about a case of good news, bad news. Arkansas' attorney general Dustin McDaniel has gone on record in support of marriage equality. However, he's also stated he will defend the state's constitutional ban on same-sex marriage in court.

“I want to tell you I do support marriage equality and I do believe Arkansans should have the right to be equal in the eyes of the law,” McDaniel said in a speech at the AP managing editors convention. After the speech, he explained to an AP reporter, “I’m going to zealously defend our constitution, but at the same time I think it’s important to let people where I stand on the matter.”

McDaniel, who's nearing the end of his term, said he would also not campaign to the end ban, which is currently being challenged in court, while in office, or push other officials to take his position.

Ummmm, then why even make the announcement in the first place? He's basically saying "Yeah I believe ya'll should have rights. I just won't do anything in my power to help you." Not saying he couldn't do anything once he's out of office, but why not do something now, while you have the power and the platform? It's a strange, infuriating position to take.


Comments