'Mean Girls' Actor Daniel Franzese Comes Out



Oh my god this is so fetch--well not really, 'cause fetch is never going to happen. But anyway, actor Daniel Franzese, who famously brought Damian, the out and proud sidekick of Janis Ian to life in Mean Girls, has officially come out as gay.

In a letter to IndieWire, Franzese talks about the "gay glass ceiling" he hit in the wake of his breakout role.

"When I first became an actor, I wanted to play lots of roles — guidos, gangsters and goombahs were my specialty," he wrote. "So, would I be able to play all of those parts after portraying a sensitive, moisturizing, Ashton Kutcher-loving, pink-shirt-wearing kid? I was optimistic. Hollywood? Not so much."

Franzese said the 10th anniversary of the classic film was the primary reason for his coming out.

"More and more people are coming up and talking to me about it again, and especially adult gay males, some in tears. The reason I wanted to do it was that I didn't see a young, gay, chubby representation of myself. ... That meant a lot to a lot of people."

Yes, I know you're probably thinking "really girl, that's news?" right now--and Franzese himself acknowledges the "duh" factor in an interview with Dish Nation--but irregardless of how obvious it is to us or our allies, coming out is always a good thing.

Watch a few clips from the Dish Nation interview below.

Comments