College Hoops Star Brittney Griner Comes Out


College basketball star and Phoenix Mercury number-one draft pick Brittney Griner has come out in an video interview with Sports Illustrated. 

When asked why professional women's sports seem to have more openly gay players than their male counterparts, Griner said "I really couldn't give an answer on why that's so different. Being one that's out, it's just being who you are... again, like I said, just be who you are. Don't worry about what other people are going to say, because they're always going to say something, but, if you're just true to yourself, let that shine through. Don't hide who you really are."

Griner said the decision to come out "wasn't too difficult. I wouldn't say I was hiding or anything like that. I've always been open about who I am and my sexuality."

Second and third round draft picks Elena Della Donne and Skylar Diggins, who also appear in the video, say they support openly gay players. Watch the video below.

Comments