Growing Up Gay



With National Coming Out Day almost upon us--I guess that makes today Coming Out Eve. Both feet out of the closets boys and girls!--what better time to talk about Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay, a new book by DJ/blogger Paul Vitagliano.

As you probably guessed, the book features childhood photos of people who grew up to be proud gay adults, accompanied by first person stories. The picture above is of Marco at age six. "This photo was taken at a cafe in an Italian spa town. My mom, dad, brother and I all sat down in these modern 1960s chrome  chairs: however, I was the only one who crossed  my legs in such a flirtatious way! As children, we almost never censor ourselves."

Vitagliano told The Advocate he wanted the book to document the cultural experience of coming out and growing up gay from the 50's to the present day.

"I wanted the larger message to be: I faced the same adversity you do today, and I ended up as a happy, loved and proud gay adult," said Vitagliano. "I omitted particularly brutal memories simply because I wanted this book to be appropriate reading material for kids as well as adults."

The book is out now. View a few more photos in a slideshow HERE.

Comments