A Deafening Silence...


If you have time--.hell if you don't, make time--read actress/author/trans activist Alexandra Billings' Huffington Post piece, which details her harrowing date rape at 22, the harsh or virtually non-existent treatment trans women face from police when they attempt to report sexual assault and how the "T" in the LGBT community is often ignored:


"Suddenly, and without warning, I felt his hand on my shoulder. He turned me quickly toward him, and kissed me. The kiss was hard and almost painful. He then put his hands around my waist and pulled me toward him. I tried to get free, but the more I struggled, the tighter his grip became. My heart began to race in a way I'd never felt before, and my body went into a hyper-speed panic that I felt in the pit of my stomach. I knew I was in terrible, terrible trouble...Dan's eyes were red and huge and they glared at me with a rage and an anger that filled up the room. As I wriggled and tried to squirm away, before I knew it, he was on top of me, pinning down my wrists and spreading my thighs. And as he came close to me again, with his mouth near my neck, he felt between my legs, and popped his head up


"You...?!" was all I heard.


His breath got hotter and closer to me, and he flipped me over on my stomach and began tearing at my dress.


I was raped that night.


I never went to the police and I never told another living soul. None of my friends knew, no one I worked with, and no family member ever found out. I kept this in me for almost 20 years. It was 1983, and being what I was, was not only against the law in Illinois, it was unheard of. I remember once, a girlfriend of mine was being chased by her boyfriend who was coming at her with a kitchen knife, and when she found a parked police car; out of breath and near hysterics, told them what she was running from, and the two cops laughed and told her to "act like a man." So, I knew deep down that going to the police was useless."

Read the rest HERE.

Comments