Madonna On The Gays: "I Never Left Them"


The Madonna media assault is in full swing with the queen of pop gracing the cover of  The Advocate. While it's not as raunch-tastic as her 1991 sit down with the magazine (and if you haven't read it, you must; Madge goes IN chile:), it provides good insight into her new movie W.E., her thoughts on Gaga's gay appeal, and why those who doubt her rainbow credentials should have a Coke and a smile and....you know the rest.

On how she was personally affected by AIDS:

“I was extremely affected by it. I remember lying on a bed with a friend of mine who was a musician, and he had been diagnosed with this kind of cancer, but nobody knew what it was. He was this beautiful man, and I watched him kind of waste away, and then another gay friend, and then another gay friend, and then another gay friend. They were all artists and all truly special and dear to me. I saw how people treated them differently,” she says. “I saw the prejudices, and I think probably I got that confused with, intertwined with, you know, maybe things that…ways that people treated me differently.”

In response to the sentiment that she abandoned gay fans:

“I never left them. When you’re single, you certainly have more time to socialize and hang out with your gay friends, but then you get married and you have a husband and you have children, and your husband wants you to spend time with him. I’m not married anymore, but I have four kids, and I don’t have a lot of time for socializing. I hope nobody’s taking that personally. It certainly was not a conscious decision. As it stands, most of my friends in England are gay. But I’m back. Never fear.”

Read the rest HERE.

Comments