Keith Boykin Accepting Submissions For "For Colored Boys.." Anthology


Via Rod 2.0:

Author and retired activist Keith Boykin will be accepting submissions until July 20th for a forthcoming anthology: For Colored Boys Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow Is Still Not Enough. According to Boykin, the project was inspired by "young Black gay men literally committing suicide in the silence of their own communities."

Boykin told Rod 2.0 :

"The immediate inspiration for the book was your web site. As you know, I've retired from black gay activism, I'm not as involved as I used to be and your web site is the first place I go to find out news about our community. Then last fall I remember seeing all those sad articles on your site about young black gay men who were committing suicide, and I was concerned that those stories weren't getting as much attention as other stories in the mainstream media. That's when I sent off an email to Don Weise, the publisher at Magnus Books, suggesting that he should get somebody to do an inspirational book for black gay men in light of all the suicides going on.



Since we announced the book on Thursday, we've already been flooded with submissions. I can tell this is going to be a lot of hard work figuring out what to include, but I think it's going to be an amazing book, and probably the most important book I've ever done."

I am loving this idea. So often our experiences as black and latino gay/bisexual men are ignored or dismissed as irrelevant in the larger black and Hispanic communities. This book could inspire and save so many lives. To learn more about the project and the submission guidelines, click HERE.

Comments

Prince Todd said…
I am actually working on my submission!