Imma Homo


But enough about me....I'm talking about the track "Imma Homo," the ultra-gay posse cut by Rainbow Noise, a record label that specializes in "GLBTQ music artists with mainstream appeal." The video has become quite the viral hit around hip hop and black gossip websites, with posts on Bossip and World Star Hip Hop (along with the requisite blasts of homophobic comments). Spin did an interesting article on the song and gay hip hop and general, so I thought I'd give my two cents.

My thoughts: musically the track is nothing special. It features the same production used in most club/party rap right now: a repetitve, distorted voice for the hook and skittering 808 drums n' bass. Meanwhile the flows are entertaining, from the mid-90's sped-up rapping style that seems to have been spontaneously resurrected to the currently ubiquitous punchline flow (Pull the pink 22/ Joker face). Other standout lines include "I beat the pussy up, call me Dyke Turner," "Feet kicked up with a blunt/Watchin' Logo" and "Next time you see in me in the club/Don't forget the butt plug." But ultimately there's no classic verse or line I could see being listed in a top ten list.

But even with all that said, I can't to stop replaying it. Even though it comes off as kind of a generic rap song, save for the fact that all the MCs are gay, it's...actually..kinda...hot. Honestly, it's been hard trying to get behind most of the pro-gay hip hop, more commonly known as "homo hop," over the years, simply because the music wasn't very good, from a lyrical or production stand point. It's great that people are willing to come out and be themselves, but compared to "straight" hip hop (and let's just assume for the sake of this post that all these rap gurls are straight:), it often came off as corny and stagnant. Out of all the LGBT artists I heard of any genre, the only names I can think of that could be genuine, mainstream pop stars are Ari Gold, Kaoz and B.Slade.

Maybe the reason why "Imma Homo" works is because it's getting out the message (being gay is ok) without coming across as excruiatingly boring. Or perhaps it's in the attitude. Rainbow Noise don't go out of their way to be politically correct, with either the language (plenty four letter words and N-bombs are dropped) or the subject matter (the track is an homage to that time honored hip hop tradition---macking hoes).

Part of what makes hip hop great is its rebellious, "fuck you, I'm doin' me" attitude," and "Imma Homo" taps into that spirit perfectly. But that poses another dilemma: should we as LGBT folks nod our heads to lines like "How many niggas do you know that gotta tell them hoes to stop" and "I don't own her/ I encourage all my niggas to get on her," just because they're coming out of a lesbian's mouth? We cry misogyny whenever Lil Wayne, Wacka Flocka, Rick Ross or any other male rapper spits such lines. Should we hold Rainbow Noise to the same standards, even if they are helping to increase the openly gay and lesbian presence in rap music? Are LGBT artists truly progressing and finding a voice in hip hop (or mainstream pop music in general, which is what most rap is these days) by imitating their straight counterparts in attitude and lyrical content, albeit with a gay undercurrent?
Watch the video below and discuss.


Comments