Marsha Ambrosius "Far Away" Video


I know I'm a little late on this (internet connection issues), but I had to comment on this clip. I love how Marsha deals with such heavy subject matter--homophobia, gay-bashing and suicide--in a way that is empathetic and realistic. It's also great to see the two men in the video are out and not two closet DL queens. In an Associated Press article, Ambrosius explained that the video is tribute to those without a voice.

"I lost a friend and I've had friends that have attempted suicide. There are people that don't have a voice to speak out and show what is happening and what can happen, so I just wanted people to see the honesty in it and be aware," she said in an interview from Philadelphia on Wednesday.

The 33-year-old singer, first introduced as one-half of the Grammy-nominated, British soul duo Floetry, says she has a strong gay following — and needs to support it.

"I go to my shows and my audience is predominantly gay ... I've been approached by many who've said my music has influenced them and we'll speak about experiences that they've had. It's just only right that I give that voice back," she said.

Ambrousius's album Late Nights & Early Mornings comes out on February 22nd. Watch the video below:

Comments