Mad Men: My New Television Obsession

Yes, I know I'm about three years and four seasons late, but Mad Men is my new favorite show lol. I decided to check it out after reading an article on Jon Hamm, a.k.a Don Draper, in Details and I'm glad I did! The set design and costuming is exquisite, and the writing is sharp and intelligent. I love how the show isn't just a nostalgia trip.

While the shows creators are clearly paying homage to an era, they don't ignore all of the 'isms of the early 60's (i.e racism, sexism, antisemitism, homophobia). The show (and the reality of what we the viewers know what will happen to such attitudes over the next 50 years) gives an critical, biting insight to what certain attitudes were back in the day, as well as how minorities--meaning everyone that wasn't white, male, straight, Anglo-Saxon and Christian--navigated around them.

The show does have a certain rainbow appeal, and its name is Joan. Babay, Joan can act like Mama Bear: Protector of the Secretaries one minute, then Sheeba Queen of Throwing Shade the next if she's feeling bitchy. Not to mention her dangerous curves and threads that are always on point. But I digress.

Of course I've only watched the first season, so the rest of the series could be a pile of hot garbage, but I don't think I'll be disappointed:). Click on the clips below to watch them on Youtube, since embedding has been disabled:(.







Comments