Guilty Pleasure Movie Picks: A Diva's Christmas Carol


Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. Yes, my fellow gay boys(and girls if any are reading) Vanessa Williams' turn as Ebony Scrooge, a bitch-on-wheels diva heading for self-destruction in yet another reimagining of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, had me hooked from the first time I saw it back in the day. I swear they'll be redoing that story until the apocalypse comes. Which might not be that far away, if the Mayans are to be believed. 2012, the end is near! But I digress.

It wouldn't matter if they showed this in middle of July, it always manages to put me in good mood, Partly because 1) I'll watch practically anything featuring Vanessa; 2) My girl Chili makes an appearance-- too bad they couldn't get Left Eye and T-Boz to be the twin Ghost Of Christmas Future or something, cause ya'll know that would've been a beast! 3) It's something light and funny with enough sharp one-liners to override the made-for-TV movie cheesiness.

Plus I giggle with glee everytime I hear "Heartquake." "You can't be serious/It must be some mistake/Am I delirious/Or do I feel a heartquake." I know Ms. Vanessa had to be like "you want me to sing that? Can't I just do a house remix of "Save The Best For Last" or "The Right Stuff?" But it is a catchy tune nonetheless.

Granted it's beem a minute since I've seen the movie (I guess VH1 can actually rerun something too many times) so I can't recall too many lines at the moment. But I died everytime I saw the scene where Ebony is walking up to her hotel and a Santa Claus asks her for money. She turns, contorts her face into the best hell-to-the-naw expression she can muster, and says "Save for the suckers grandpa!" Priceless. Watch the clip of the performance of "Heartquake" below:

Comments