Say What?

This is part of the reason why I have an ambivalent attitude towards Christianity/religion in general. Amber Yust, transgender woman, went to her local DMV in San Francisco to get her name changed on her driver's license. The change went through without incident. At least until Yust got a letter at her home a few days later. According to the Transgender Law Center:

Unbelievably, on Monday, Amber received a letter from the person who had processed her name change at the DMV. In the letter, which had been mailed to her at home, the DMV employee quoted from the Bible and stated that Amber had made a "very evil decision." The strongly-worded letter told Amber that she was "an abomination" and said that homosexuals should be put to death.



"I was shocked to receive this letter from the person who processed my paperwork at the DMV," said Amber. "I would never have expected that a DMV employee could use information from my name change application to reach out and personally attack me. This has been a traumatic experience for me and I want to ensure that nothing like this happens to anyone else."

The Transgender Law Center is investigating the incident.

What could make someone feel they have the right to use someones' personal information obtained from their job to send a letter telling them that who they are is an abomination that is destined to burn in hell? Nothing but the pompous, self-righteous attitude that too often comes from those who claim to be "speaking the truth in love."

No employee has the right to lecture (or in this case harass) customers who they feel don't live up to their personal standards. I wasn't thrilled about the fact that people came through the checkout line and bought cigarettes/chewing tabacco when I worked at Wal-Mart, but I definitely wouldn't send them a letter in the mail admonishing them for their "sin." Not that I'm comparing smoking to being transgender, but you get the point. I mean what's next? Sending Daily Bread books to a guy if he buys pink polos at the mall? A box of holy water for girls who wear baggy jeans?

You can read the whole letter here.

Comments

Prince Todd said…
Now, that is OBVIOUSLY an employee that should be FIRED! And to top that off she did it in gayville USA, San Francisco!
My problem with Christianity is the "Great Commission." They feel it is their duty to proselytize to everyone.
If you have a belief that is fine; but don't impede on my personal space because of it.