News and Notables

Obama 'More Determined' To Solve Middle East Conflict

President-elect Obama said the ongoing Israel-Gaza conflict has made him even more focused on bringing peace to the Middle East.

"When you see civilians, whether Palestinian or Israeli, harmed, under hardship, it's heartbreaking. And obviously what that does is it makes me much more determined to try to break a deadlock that has gone on for decades now," he told ABC's "This Week."

Obama struck back against criticisms of his silence on the conflict, explaining "the one area where the principle of 'one president at a time' has to hold is when it comes to foreign policy. We cannot have two administrations at the same time simultaneously sending signals in a volatile situation," he said.

Obama also explained handling the Israel-Gaza conflict, as well the issue of Iran's terrorist connections and nuclear plans, will take time and compromise.


King Nut Recalls Peanut Butter Due to Salmonella Outbreak

See this is why I stick to Jiff. King Nut Companies issued a total recall of its peanut butter Saturday because of fears of a salmonella outbreak, which has infected 399 people in 42 states, according to the Center for Disease Control. Salmonella had been orginially found in a 5-pound tub of peanut butter.

"We are very sorry this happened," Martin Kanan, president of King Nut Companies, said in the statement. "We are taking immediate and voluntary action because the health and safety of those who use our products is always our highest priority."

Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, New Mexico, South Carolina, Florida, Alaska and Hawaii currently report no instances of infection.

Oakland Riots Lead to More Than 100 Arrests

Wednesday night in Oakland, CA was marked by rioting, protests and arrests as demonstrators expressed their anger at the death of 22-year-old Oscar Grant.

Grant was shot and killed on New Year's Day by 27-year-old Officer Johannes Mehserle, who is accused of shooting Grant while he lied face down on a Subway platform. According to The Daily Voice:

Some protesters carried signs reading "Jail Killer Cops," while others (including some shown in the YouTube video below) angrily confronted Mayor Ron Dellums.

Some demonstrators chanted "No justice, no peace, f*** the police!" and "Pigs go home!"

A sidenote: While I can certainly understand people's rage and frustration over this tragedy, I don't understand why people would destroy their own community in protest. Because when the smoke clears and all the police and reporters have gone home, you still have to live, work and go to school there.

Kelly Clarkson Picks New Album Name


Kelly Clarkson has titled her fourth album "All I Ever Wanted." Due out on St. Patrick's Day, the album's first single, "My Life Would Suck Without You," seems to be a return to the pop/rock friendly sound of past hits such as "Since You've Been Gone," and "Behind These Hazel Eyes," (a personal favorite:).

I guess after My December didn't sell too well, (even though it got good reviews and I kinda liked "Never Again") Ms. Clarkson has learned to listen to Pupper Master Clive lol. I'm a Kelly fan though, so hopefully this will be a return to Breakaway form.

Comments

Prince Todd said…
Oh you like Kelly too? You're my new best friend. lol.
I actually liked My December (especially sober); however, I knew that album wouldn't do boffo numbers like Breakaway did. It was too hard rock. Seemed like Kelly was trying to channel Nirvana on that one.
But alas Kelly has come to the realization that she's an American Idol alum, for better or worse. No one is going to buy her doing pure alternative rock.
True, she can do those dark and edgy songs like "Beautiful Disaster." But for everyone one of those there has to be a, "Walk Away" lol.
Can't wait for the new album. She is too underrated. I need to shine some light on her. Love Kelly.

I agree with you on the Oscar Grant situation.

What I would like to see occur is the issuing of video recorders to every citizen inside of a neighborhood where police brutality is rampant. And when the police come into the area everyone can come out with his or her video camera (or hide in private, either or)and film EVERYTHING. Yeah, it might be unrealistic but I think it could actually work. If they know they are being watched at all times this might become preventable.

Look, I know there are good cops but I don't trust ANY of them on general principle. They have to earn their trust from me.

Okay, I had to blink my eyes at "King Nutt" for reasons I shan't expound upon...::blinks innocently::