News and Notables

Senate Republicans Stall Car Industry Bailout

The loan package for the auto industry fell flat in Congress Thursday when Senate Republicans would not cooperate on a compromise plan. The Daily Voice reports:

"The $14 billion proposal would have provided direct aid to General Motors and Chrysler, both of which said they needed the money by the end of December. Ford has said it does not need immediate financial assistance but may need help next year. Auto sales have plummeted during the recession that began last December, and even Japanese auto makers like Honda and Toyota have reported sharp declines in sales in the last quarter."

Republicans and Democrats clashed over efforts to bring 'The Bring Three's labor costs equal with Nissan and Toyota's wages, with Democrats agreeing to meet the foreign companies' costs, but not at the timetable demanded by Republicans.


Jesse Jackson Jr.: "I want my name back"
U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. defended his reputation on Friday after being identified as 'Senate Candidate 5' in a criminal complaint against Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, who attempted to offer favors and campaign contributions in exchange for Senate seat appointments. Jackson, a six-term Democratic congressman from Chicago, has made no secret of wanting to take Obama's vacant Senate seat, but explained he only met with Blagojevich to present his credentials.

"While I would be honored to serve the people of this state, it is clear to me that I am no capacity to serve them if there is a cloud over my head that seems to suggest that I am involved in some unscrupulous scheme to be a United States senator or anything else," Jackson told CNN's Don Lemon.
Jackson said he was eager to talk to prosecutors and clear his name.



Britney's Back....I Guess
Depsite (or because of? Who the hell knows) her recent by-the-numbers performance and a half decent 'tell all' documentary special, Britney Spears' new album Circus, debuted at #1, selling 505,000 copies in its first week. Spears is only the artist to have four albums debut at the top of the charts with 500,000 or more copies sold.

While I've always been a casual fan of Brit at the most, I think the part of the reason people are chanting 'Britney's back' like choreographed zombies is because, for whatever reason, she's been heralded as heir to Madonna's throne (blasphemy!).

Truthfully I would nominate Pink or Christina Aguilera, who have continually reinvented themselves musically and visually over the years, and actually seem to have a say in their careers. Meanwhile, Britney's stayed on the 'I'm-so-hot-shaking-my thang-in-the-club-phase for pretty much her entire career. And while in the past you could at least count on ol' Brit to serve it up live, she just doesn't seem to have the fire in her eyes anymore. But hopefully she'll work her way back (I guess that's the optimist in me:).

Comments